Strategic People Programme:
Preparing Business Leaders for the C-Suite
In this time of significant change and disruption this intensive, practically-focused programme allows business leaders and human resource professionals to develop, refocus and align their organisation’s people strategy with their organisational strategy.
Strategic People Programme Online Information Session!
13 May 2021
1:00 – 2:00 pm
At the online session you will hear from programme staff, faculty, partners and alumni. With collaboration in mind, we will introduce you to our 2021 Strategic People Programmes.
Apply now for June 2021 start!
Application Close Date: May 28
Programme Start Date: June 29
About the programme
The Strategic People Programme: Preparing Business Leaders for the C-Suite programme is designed to allow New Zealand based leaders, who may come from human resources or business unit leadership, to develop and update their thinking and people practices in the context of their organisation’s corporate strategy.
In this time of disruption, it is more important than ever that organisations are proactive and strategic in working with their people to create productive workplaces.
This programme explores how to do that. Taught be a mix of University of Auckland academics and business leaders, we will discuss cutting edge research, best current practices and learning from mistakes.
Programme take aways:
- Insights and decisions about how the organisation needs to respond to the people challenges it faces over the next 3 -5 years;
- Knowledge and understanding of how the world is changing, what trends we are seeing and how work will change in the future;
- Knowledge of how companies and leading practitioners are solving the people challenges they are facing, and what they are learning from their work;
- A network of peers, practitioners, mentors and other senior leaders who can whom you can contact when you need assistance to think and develop solutions;
This programme is designed for busy working professionals. It is a 8-day programme set across four modules, held over 4 months. The majority of the programme will be held on-site at the University of Auckland Business School campus.
The expected time commitment outside of the module components involves work on a strategic project, mentoring sessions, peer coaching, reflection on learning and pre and post module readings.
Am I eligible?
We recommend this programme if you are:
- A mid to senior leader from any background who is responsible for driving the people strategy or culture change in your organisation
- Someone who is responsible for a large operational workforce or will be working in an area which is likely to be, or is being, impacted by technology, generational changes, transformation or the like
2021 schedule and programme content
|Enterprise Strategy and Leadership|
|Leading Change in Complex Times|
|Driving Value Through Collaboration & Innovation|
|Roadmap for the Future|
- Participants engage in peer coaching in between modules.
- Learnings from each module feed into each participant’s own people strategy document.
- Mentoring sessions with senior business leaders.
- Personal reflection and application on the job
Participants will also be expected to work on a strategic project through the programme and present their results in some form to an Executive Panel at the end of the programme. This will be an opportunity for experts to provide advice and help to participants as they prepare to present to internal leaders and executives. The project should be decided in collaboration with your manager or executive and add considerable value to the organisation.
This programme is co-designed and supported by senior University faculty in conjunction with an Advisory Group of experienced business leaders who also feature as mentors and guest speakers.
- Merran Anderson (Head of People & Capability, Healthcare Holdings)
- Mark Daldorf (Head of People & Capability, Airways, New Zealand)
- Kate Daly (Director People & Communications, BNZ)
- Jo Fair (Co-Founder, FutureWork Studio)
- Barbara Harrison (Chief People Officer, GUD Holdings)
- Paul Keesing (Director, FOMO Social Media)
- Peter Kiely (Partner Kiely/Thompson/Caisley)
- Susan Lowe (Director People & Culture, Coca-Cola Amatil)
- Michelle McBride (Chief People Officer, Tower Insurance)
- Fiona Michel (Chief People Officer, Vector)
- Rachael Regan-Paterson (People Transformation, Fletcher Construction)
- Mike Sweet (Chief People Officer, EROAD)
- Richard Waggot (Deputy Chief Executive, Department of Corrections)
The fee for participation in the programme is $9,000 + GST.
This includes attendance at all of the modules, team discussion and drop in sessions, mentoring support for projects, materials and required reading. It also includes coffee, tea breaks and lunches on all class days, programme dinners and receptions for each participant and their organisational sponsor.
Discounts are available for self-sponsored participants, organizations sponsoring multiple students and University of Auckland staff.
If you would like to discuss whether this programme is suited to your needs please contact
Ph: +64 21492388